Friday, March 15, 2013

Author Spotlight: Sherri Hayes

Today's post is a spotlight on author Sherri Hayes and her romance novels. I know, not paranormal, but so what? A good book is a good book! Read on to find out a little about Sherri, her writing style and get a glimpse of the fabulous book covers.

Sherri Hayes
Sherri is the author of five novels, Hidden Threat, Slave (Finding Anna, Book 1), Behind Closed Doors (A Daniels Brothers Novel), Need (Finding Anna, Book 2), Red Zone (A Daniels Brothers Novel), and a short story, A Christmas Proposal. She lives in central Ohio with her husband and three cats. Her mother fostered her love for books at a young age by reading to her as a child. Stories have been floating around in her head for as long as she can remember; however, she didn't start writing them down until six years ago. It has become a creative outlet that allows her to explore a wide range of emotions while having fun taking her characters through all the twists and turns she can create. When she's not writing, she can usually be found helping her husband in his woodworking shop.

SH: Aspiring writers often ask me about my writing process. Sometimes I think they’re waiting for me to bestow some great piece of wisdom on them . . . give them a formula that will magically make a great story come to live. Unfortunately—or maybe fortunately—there isn’t one.
Last year, I attended the Ohioana Book Festival. It was my second year attending as an author, and like the first year, I learned a lot about not only writing, but also the industry itself from the other writers there. I sat with two other romance authors, and after speaking with them throughout the day, we found that our writing process couldn’t be more varied.
One is a strict planner. She lays everything out with diagrams, timelines, etc., before putting anything down on the page. Her attention to detail amazed me.
I, however, am the complete opposite. The other day I had a reader ask me if I knew the endings of my stories before I started writing them, or if they developed as I wrote. My answer was that while I usually have a vague idea how the story is going to end, I know none of the details, or how the characters will proceed on their journey to get to that ending. In a lot of ways, it’s just as exciting for me to write a story as it is for my readers to read.
The third author sitting with us at Ohioana, fell somewhere in the middle. While she did outline her stories, they tend to be more of a rough guide touching on the highlights of the novel versus detailing every plot twist and turn that would occur. She also stressed that no outline is ever set in stone if a better idea pops into her head while she’s writing.
The bottom line is that there is no one correct way to write. Every writer has to find their own path and what works for them. Write what you love—what you have a passion for. Don’t worry about whether or not what you’re doing it the ‘right’ way.
Sherri Hayes

Would you like a peek at the covers of her amazing novels? Well wait no more.




Sherri Hayes' Amazon page
Get your kindle copy of Slave, Need, Hidden Threat and Behind Closed Doors  


No comments:

Post a Comment